What Terms and Ingredients to Look for on Labels
When looking for skin care products, follow the same rules that you follow for a healthy diet: hunt for unprocessed ingredients, without any artificial or harsh chemicals. When you choose products with natural ingredients, your skin will know how to use those ingredients to optimize your skin’s natural healing. Natural ingredients contain everything your skin needs to look its best. Confused by labels? We are too! That is why we are breaking down the terms and ingredients you should look for when at the store.
Phrases on Skincare Labels
Here are some commonly used phrases on skincare products. These are some of the most often misunderstood terms.
- “Clinically Proven.” This only means that the product when through some sort of clinical test. No other criteria is used when adding this to a label. This definitely does not indicate the use of all natural ingredients.
- “Dermatologist Tested.” Widely used to indicate that a patch test was performed to see if the product irritates the skin. It, however, does not mean the product does what is promises or that a dermatologist recommends the product.
- “Fragrance Free.” This only means that no artificial fragrance was added. There can absolutely be other chemicals included in the ingredients list.
Natural Ingredients to Look For
So, what natural ingredients can you look for on the label? Try our handy list below!
- Kudzu. Great for reducing wrinkles and helping with skin issues like rosacea.
- Kiwi seed extract. An anti-aging product that is great for fine lines and under-eye circles.
- Biotin. This is a type of B vitamin that can strengthen hair and nails. You might also see it used to maintain metabolism.
- Olive fruit extract. Helps to repair your skin by strengthening the protective barrier.
- Tocotrienols. These are vitamin E antioxidants that help to fight free radicals.
- Lutein. This natural substance helps to protect skin from the sun.
- Astaxanthin. Another natural product that helps to fight aging and reduces skin inflammation.
- Caffeine. Yes caffeine can be applied to your skin! It re-energizes the skin and eliminates puffiness.
- Vitamin C. One of the best natural ingredients for fighting aging.
- Tea Tree Oil. An extremely popular essential oil that is great for fighting breakouts.
- Coconut Oil. This skin care ingredient contains antibacterial and antifungal properties along with a whole list of other benefits.
- Argan Oil. This Moroccon wonder has amazing healing properties.
- Aloe Vera. This one has been around a while and may have been your grandmother’s secret. Well grandma really does know best! The vitamins and minerals contained within this plant are heaven for your skin.
- Bakuchiol. This herbal extract has been used in Chinese medicine for decades. It is perfect for treating skin conditions, smoothing lines, and even fighting acne.
- Pine. A very specific pine from the French maritime variety that grows in the Mediterranean region that can transform the skin.
Carefully read your natural skincare labels looking for ingredients designed by nature to bring you healthy looking skin.