Skip the pasta and bring on the veggies in this healthy chicken dish.
YIELD: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5 ounces each)
- Kosher salt
- 10 oz. cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 c. dry white wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. kale, stems discarded and leaves chopped
- 1/2 c. pitted green olives
- 1/4 c. flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in lg. deep skillet on medium-high. Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side; transfer to plate.
- Add mushrooms and cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate with chicken.
- Lower heat to medium and add onion, red pepper, garlic, rosemary and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits, until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes (and their juices).
- Return chicken and mushrooms to skillet, nestling chicken in tomatoes, and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Fold in kale and cook, covered, 10 to 12 minutes more. Uncover, discard bay leaf and stir in olives and parsley.